Sunday, June 3, 2018

Evan Zhu Week 10 Event 3

3 June 2018

This week I had the opportunity to experience the exhibit called “Weak or No Signal”. Weak or No Signal is the UCLA DESMA final MFA showcase for the graduate’s work of 2018. This exhibit was located in the New Wight Gallery at the Broad Art Center here at UCLA. This was my first time going to the New Wight Gallery. I feel fortunate that I now know about this amazing resource.


This exhibit had a wide variety of different art. I really enjoyed this specific exhibit because some of the art pieces were interactive. This interactivity really immersed me into the art instead of just me observing it. My favorite piece was probably the one by Christina Yglesias who is a visual arts creator from Los Angeles (linkedin). She showed how romance is shown in film by focusing on a romance scene from Flesh and the Devil (Flesh and the Devil). She essentially made her own interpretation of the scene.


I personally enjoyed Weak or No Signal because of the technology aspect of the art. There was a wide variety so which gives everyone something to enjoy. Much of it was also interactive which made you feel as though you were participating in the art rather than just observing it. I really appreciate this type of assignment as it exposed me to a whole world of technology and art as well as resources on this campus.

Sources

“Broad Art Center.” UST Projects-UCLA, www.ust.ucla.edu/ustweb/Projects/PROJECTS/ucla/broad_img1.htm.

“Flesh and the Devil (1926).” IMDb, IMDb.com, www.imdb.com/title/tt0016884/

www.linkedin.com/in/christinayglesias.

No comments:

Post a Comment