Sunday, April 22, 2018

Evan Zhu Week 3 Event 1

April 22, 2018
Hammer Museum

I was able to attend the Hammer Museum today. I got to experience the amazing artwork found at the museum. Once I had got there, I was immediately surprised with the variety of art that they had. The one that caught my eye the most was The Tyranny of Consciousness. This is the first time that I have seen art in a museum in this form. It was a projection of 44 sunsets, a clock that counted down from 18 minutes, and a recording of Lady Bunny who is a famous drag queen. She essentially speaks about how the world would be a much better place if everyone were to be peaceful. She also says that we need to change this or else the world will be destined to fail. I thought that the sunsets showed the beauty that can be in the world which contrasts the recording of Lady Bunny. I also found it interesting how that “one” piece of art consisted of different types of media. It brought together a recording, projection, and a clock.

I think that The Tyranny of Consciousness is a perfect example of what we are learning about in this class. It shows that art is not just a painting but can use modern technology as well. My trip to the Hammer Museum has really broadened my perspective of what art entails. I think that it has had the greatest effect on me so far in the course just because I was able to experience it in person which is different than just looking a photos of it.  
Image result for tyranny of consciousness Image result for tyranny of consciousness

No comments:

Post a Comment